How to Dust, Clean and Maintain Your Mattress
Your mattress is an important asset as it is where you get to relax. You need to learn how to take proper care of it so it can serve its purpose well. Taking care of the mattress means learning ways to dust, clean and maintain it. Here are ways you can take care of your mattress, so it continues taking care of you.
How to dust the mattress
If your mattress has dust, it could be a thriving place for dust mites. Dust mites can cause allergies due to their excretions. If you are hygiene conscious, you need to know how to eliminate the dust mites. You can do it through:
- Lowering the humidity in your bedroom as dust mites need high humidity to survive.
- Clean the mattress using baking soda then vacuum it.
- Contact a professional to clean the mattress.
- You can also use a dust mite resistant mattress.
How to clean the mattress
You know that your mattress needs to be cleaned regularly. However, you might be wondering how you can clean your mattress. You might think that you have to call a professional cleaning service to clean it, but you can keep your mattress clean by following simple instructions.
Making the cleaning powder
Before you start cleaning, you need to prepare cleaning powder for the mattress. You need to mix at least 1 cup of baking soda with 4-5 drops of essential oils. Shake thoroughly to ensure all the baking soda gets the oil.
After your cleaning powder is ready, you can start the cleaning process.
- Since you are removing your bedding, you can take this chance and wash it. Kill dust mites by using the hottest setting.
- Next, you need to apply your cleaning powder on the mattress using a shake lid or sieve. Ensure you distribute the powder on the whole mattress.
- You need to wait for at least an hour for the cleaning powder to work. It will remove any moisture, odor, and dirt leaving your mattress clean and fresh.
- Once the baking soda has done its job, you need to vacuum the powder off the mattress. Vacuuming will also remove dust mites if they are present on your mattress.
You can repeat this process every couple of months or monthly to always have a hygienic mattress.
Maintenance tips for your mattress
You can extend your mattress life through using the following maintenance tips.
- Wash your beddings once a week using hot water and tumble dry them or dry them under direct sunlight.
- Use a mattress cover on your mattress to prevent dust, dust mites and dander from building up. It will also help keep your mattress clean.
- Flip your mattress every six months to ensure the wear is evenly distributed which will prolong its life.
- Strip and vacuum your mattress every couple of months and keep it as dry as possible to prevent mold and mildew.
- Clean stains and wipe spills immediately they occur. Blot the area if the stain is fresh then spray some hydrogen peroxide and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. Blot it dry again and apply baking soda letting it sit for a few hours before you brush it off. Repeat the process if the stain persists.
- Replace your mattress after 10 years of continuous use.